A basic east coast driving itinerary, the Sydney to Brisbane drive is packed stuffed with implausible stops and delightful surroundings.
Comply with the freeway north as you journey from New South Wales to Queensland, making the epic journey between two of Australia’s most iconic cities.
This nice street journey takes you alongside the coast. Departing Sydney, you’ll name in at small cities and legendary seashores – from Coffs Harbor to Byron Bay.
You possibly can surf, hike, and benefit from the drive as you journey over 500 miles to Brisbane.
To encourage your subsequent east coast journey, right here’s our information to planning a Sydney to Brisbane street journey!
Don’t go away residence with out: Lonely Planet Australia (Journey Information)
Sydney to Brisbane Drive: Final Highway Journey Information
How Lengthy is a Sydney to Brisbane Highway Journey?
The quickest route from Sydney to Brisbane is simply over 500 miles from metropolis to metropolis.
This takes you straight north, principally sticking to the freeway that follows the east coast all the way in which up via New South Wales and into Queensland.
Our Sydney to Brisbane street journey itinerary takes a couple of detours inland, to the Blue Mountains, as an example, which provides a couple of miles to the whole.
As you journey north, you can find that whereas many of the finest stops are on the coast, you may wish to make a couple of further detours!
Whilst you might technically make the drive from Sydney to Brisbane in simply ten hours, we’d advocate attempting to maintain a complete week out there for the journey.
That manner, you may hold driving time every day all the way down to round two hours or much less, with loads of time to truly benefit from the locations you’re visiting.
- Sydney to Brisbane: 900 kilometers or 570 miles.
- How lengthy is a Sydney to Brisbane street journey: It takes about 10 and a half hours to drive from Sydney to Brisbane.
- What number of days ought to a street journey from Sydney to Brisbane take? It’s best to interrupt it up into 1-2 hour driving blocks over one or two weeks, you’ll see among the finest shoreline and cities that New South Wales has to supply.
- What’s the midway level between Brisbane and Sydney? Coffs Harbour is the midway level between Brisbane and Sydney.
Have to e book a automobile on your street journey journey? We use Uncover Automotive Rent for evaluating automobile costs to search out the perfect deal. They search each native & worldwide rental corporations.
Greatest Stops Alongside the Sydney to Brisbane Drive
There’s quite a bit to see on a Sydney to Brisbane street journey. We recommend utilizing the itinerary beneath as a top level view as a result of there are such a lot of extra stops you may plan into the journey!
Your street journey begins in Sydney, a basic Aussie vacation spot for vacationers. There’s quite a bit to see and do in Sydney, and that’s earlier than you begin heading north, so take a couple of days to discover town!
Begin by visiting the Sydney Opera Home and the harbor space, the place yow will discover basic views over town from the epic Sydney Harbor Bridge climb.
Go to a couple of museums, have a couple of drinks at The Rocks or Darling Harbor, and take the ferry downriver to Manly Seashore.
You possibly can’t go away with out seeing the well-known Bondi Seashore both, which is maybe essentially the most legendary seaside on the east coast of Australia!
Keep awhile and really really feel the Sydney space:
Prime 5 issues to do in Sydney:
- Final Sydney Arrival Bundle
- The Rocks Strolling Tour: the Authentic Guided Strolling Tour of The Rocks
- Sydney by Evening | The Authentic Luxurious Non-public Evening Tour | three Hours
- Journey Past Cruise Sydney Harbour – Lunch Cruise
- Sydney Opera Home VIP Tour, Opera Ticket & Dinner Bundle
The primary cease in your Sydney to Brisbane street journey would be the Blue Mountains.
This spectacular space of pure magnificence is positioned simply an hour away from town, so you may at all times make this a day journey from Sydney earlier than setting off north.
The Blue Mountains Nationwide Park is a spectacular place for mountain climbing. Go to Katoomba, the place you’ll be greeted by epic clifftop walks and distinctive rock formations, such because the Three Sisters.
There are small mountain cities, a scenic cable automobile journey, and lots extra outside sights!
Keep awhile and really really feel the Blue Mountains space:
- Lilianfels – Luxurious
- Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains – MGallery – Midrange
- Metropole Katoomba Guesthouse – Price range
Prime 5 issues to do within the Blue Mountains:
- Sundown Blue Mountains Wilderness & Wildlife Tour (With out the Crowds)
- Blue Mountains Distinctive Small-Group Day Journey with BBQ Lunch
- Blue Mountains Non-public Tour of Scenic World and Featherdale
- Canyoning at Beautiful Empress Canyon
- Blue Mountains Hanging Rock Self-Guided Mountain Bike Tour
From the Blue Mountains, head to the coast north of Sydney, the place you may go to the second-largest metropolis in New South Wales – Newcastle.
This charming metropolis is positioned proper on the seaside and is a good place to benefit from the east shoreline!
From Newcastle, you may drive inland to go to the attractive Hunter Valley, considered one of essentially the most well-known wine-producing areas in Australia.
Keep awhile and really really feel the Newcastle space:
- Rydges Newcastle – Luxurious
- Vacation Inn Categorical Newcastle – Midrange
- The Greenroof – Price range
Prime 5 issues to do in Newcastle, Australia:
- Every day Scorching Air Balloon Flight – Hunter Valley
- Humpback Whale Encounter Tour from Newcastle
- Newcastle Afoot East Finish Stroll
- 25-30 Minute Newcastle & Macquarie Helicopter Shared Flight
- Worimi Sand Dunes Quad Bike Tour
Head north from Newcastle, and your subsequent cease would be the well-liked coastal city of Port Macquarie, considered one of New South Wales’ premier vacationer locations.
In addition to nice seashores and lookouts over the Pacific Ocean, Port Macquarie is legendary for the native koala hospital, which has been rehabilitating injured koalas for years.
You possibly can be part of a tour of the koala hospital to see these furry little animals as they’re being cared for and study extra concerning the risks they face within the wild (lots of that are straight associated to human exercise in Australia).
It’s a captivating place the place you may study concerning the fragile but distinctive ecosystem of Australia.
Keep awhile and really really feel the Port Macquarie space:
- Rydges Port Macquarie – Luxurious
- Macquarie Barracks Motor Inn – Midrange
- Excelsior Motor Inn – Price range
From Port Macquarie, begin your drive north to Brisbane, however name in on the laid-back seaside city of Nambucca Heads.
There’s not a complete lot happening right here, however that’s a part of the rationale to go to as a result of it makes for an ideal place to interrupt up the journey.
Benefit from the implausible seashores, the magnificent views from Captain Prepare dinner lookout, and wander alongside the native sea wall, which has been taken over by artists and graffiti.
Keep awhile and really really feel the Nambucca Heads space:
- Riverside Relaxation Nambucca Heads – Luxurious
- The Cubana Resort Nambucca Heads – Midrange
- BIG4 Nambucca Seashore Vacation Park – Price range
Your subsequent cease in your Sydney to Brisbane street journey is Coffs Harbor, a small coastal group that’s massive on conservation.
There are a number of marine parks off the coast, and the world is understood for its giant populations of dolphins.
You possibly can hike round Mutton Chicken Island Nature Reserve for views over the ocean and an opportunity to see the world’s birdlife.
There are wonderful coastal walks alongside the seashores, whereas inland, yow will discover waterfalls and mountain climbing trails resulting in lovely surroundings!
Lastly, you haven’t actually been to Coffs Harbour except you’ve visited The Large Banana! Seize a photograph with the large banana, then head inside and order their signature banana cut up.
Keep awhile and really really feel the Coffs Harbor space:
- Diggers Seashore Cottage – Luxurious
- BreakFree Aanuka Seashore Resort – Midrange
- Surf Seashore Motel – Price range
Prime 5 issues to do in Coffs Harbor:
- Rainforest & Waterfall Expertise
- Coffs Harbour – Jetty by Bike Tour
- Coffs Harbour Floor Rush or Max Freefall Tandem Skydive on the Seashore
- Coastal Journey
- Sundown Expertise
One among east coast Australia’s hottest vacationer locations is Byron Bay, and it’s an integral cease on any Sydney to Brisbane street journey.
Byron Bay is understood for its wonderful seaside and tough waves, that are excellent for browsing.
The small group can be identified for its various tradition and humanities scene; it’s the form of place the place backpackers arrive and by no means go away.
Recognize the laid again life-style, the quirky cafes, the nice bars, and naturally, the nice browsing.
Byron Bay is essentially the most easterly level in Australia. You possibly can take pleasure in among the finest sunrises within the nation.
Head to the well-known Byron Bay Lighthouse, the place you’ll have the perfect vistas over the ocean (particularly in the event you get right here early sufficient within the morning!).
Keep awhile and really really feel the Byron Bay:
- The Seashore Shack Byron Bay – Luxurious
- Atlantic Byron Bay – Midrange
- Byron Bay Seashore Hostel – Price range
Prime 5 issues to do in Byron Bay:
- Byron Stand Up Paddle Nature Tour
- Byron Bay Half Day Surf Lesson
- Scorching Air Balloon Flight over Byron Bay Together with Gourmand Champagne Breakfast
- Hinterland Magic – Glow-worm expertise
- Cruise with Dolphins in Byron Bay
From Byron Bay, cross over the state border and into Queensland, however earlier than you attain Brisbane, there’s yet another nice cease to take pleasure in – the Gold Coast.
This spectacular metropolis is quintessential east coast Australia. On the Gold Coast, the skyscrapers are constructed proper as much as the seashores.
It’s a beautiful skyline, and there’s a fantastic lengthy boardwalk that runs alongside the seaside.
That is considered one of Australia’s high browsing locations. You’ll have the ability to have a go your self or watch high surfers out on the water!
Keep awhile and really really feel the Gold Coast space:
Prime issues to do within the Gold Coast:
- Gold Coast Jet Boat Experience from Fundamental Seashore
- Small group Gold Coast Mountain Tour: Springbrook Nationwide Park and Mt Tamborine
- Gold Coast Parasailing – Solo, Tandem, Triple
- Gold Coast Brewery Tour Together with Balter, Burleigh and Black Hops
- Small Boat Whale Watching Tour with Sea the Gold Coast
After 500 miles (or extra!) of driving, you lastly make it to the tip of your Sydney to Brisbane drive. Now you may benefit from the sights and points of interest this nice metropolis has to supply!
Take a couple of days on the finish to loosen up and sightsee. Benefit from the Southbank, a vibrant strolling route alongside the south facet of the river. You’ll discover bars, cafes, eating places, and a public, outside swimming lagoon.
Go to the Museum of Queensland, see the koalas at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, or take a day journey to Moreton Island, simply off the coast.
From Brisbane, you may stick with it driving north to Cairns, when you have one other few weeks left in your Aussie journey.
Queensland is big, and also you’re actually solely at first of a brand new journey. Embarking on a Brisbane to Cairns street journey is an epic 1000 mile drive.
Keep awhile and really really feel the Brisbane space:
- Spicers Balfour Resort – Luxurious
- Stamford Plaza Brisbane – Midrange
- Brisbane Backpackers Resort – Price range
Prime 5 issues to do in Brisbane:
- Full-Day Byron Bay and Crystal Fort Day Tour from Brisbane
- Brisbane River Helicopter Flight
- Cruise To Lunch Bundle
- Higher Brisbane Scorching Air Balloon Flights – Metropolis & Nation views
- Brisbane Segway Sightseeing Tour
Doing A Brisbane to Sydney Drive As a substitute
Alternatively, it’s doable to reverse this complete route by taking a Brisbane to Sydney street journey as an alternative.
This may rely on in the event you can discover low-cost flights to Brisbane or Sydney whenever you arrive. There actually isn’t any proper or mistaken approach to make this drive, so plan it within the route that fits your plans finest.
Highway Security in Australia
The primary rule of driving in Australia is follow the left-hand facet of the street! The second rule is be careful for kangaroos!
You is likely to be excited to see kangaroos within the wild if it’s your first time in Australia, however the kangaroos will rapidly turning into tiring whenever you’re attempting to dodge them on the roads.
Attempt to keep away from driving at nightfall and daybreak, when kangaroos are most energetic. You’re tremendous within the cities and cities, however keep away from rural areas at evening in the event you don’t desire a probably harmful run-in with wildlife.
To your Sydney to Brisbane street journey, you don’t want a elaborate 4 by 4 as you’ll be following the coast, not heading into the outback.
You can also make this drive any time of the yr, however it’s finest finished in summer season when the climate is most interesting!
Provides and Lodging Between Sydney and Brisbane
Not like different, extra distant long-distance drives you may sort out in Australia, you’ll discover that on a Sydney to Brisbane street journey, you may simply keep fueled up and stocked with provides alongside the way in which.
Watch out to not underestimate the distances concerned, although, and bear in mind to maintain your gasoline tank full when you’ve got the chance.
This can be a well-liked vacationer route, so there’s a lot of lodging on the way in which north to Brisbane.
You possibly can take a campervan, keep in campsites, or e book lodging in every vacation spot in your Sydney to Brisbane street journey.
Learn critiques and test costs with our Resort Search Engine, that provides you the perfect lodge offers discovered on the net. Our search engine pulls outcomes from all the main reserving locations, together with Expedia, Lodges, Reserving and extra. All of the choices, all of the offers, multi functional place and only for you.
Extra on Australia:
- 25 Prime Issues to Do in Australia (On Your First Go to!)
- Backpacking in Australia: eight Week Recap & Journey Ideas
- 11 Greatest Issues to Do in Darwin, Australia
- 10 Spectacular Issues to Do on Fraser Island
- Ought to I Hire a Jucy Campervan in Australia?
- Oceania Journey Information